Your time in college is unique. For most young people, it’s their first taste of independence and their first opportunity to experience new things, make new friends, and secure a quality education. However, just like any other location, you aren’t immune to an accident and injury while attending college.
Our Corpus Christi personal injury lawyer understands the impact of an injury on a college student, employee, or someone visiting the campus. When this happens, you may wonder what rights you have and if you can recover compensation for your injuries and losses.
At The Burkett Law Firm, we can provide you with the legal services you need to help you recover the compensation you deserve after an accident on a college campus. Keep reading to learn more.
Common Accidents on College Campuses in Texas
It doesn’t matter if you attend Texas State University, Texas A&M, or one of the 266 other colleges or universities in Texas; accidents can happen at any time. While you may experience all types of accidents and injuries on a college campus, some are more common than others. Some of the most common include:
- Car accidents: These often involve students walking or riding their bikes on campus.
- Falls: Frayed or torn carpeting, broken stairs, slippery floors, poor lighting, and other types of dangerous property conditions can occur that lead to serious falls.
- Hazing injuries: Most hazing injuries involve alcohol poisoning if the school has certain clubs or fraternities; other hazing injuries may also occur.
- Assaults: Issues related to negligent security around buildings, parking lots and garages, and dorms can lead to assaults.
- Sports-related injuries: Many students participate in contact sports, resulting in injuries if proper supervision isn’t available or faulty equipment is used.
While no amount of money can erase the trauma caused by an accident on a college campus, it can help you pay for medical treatment and other losses you may have experienced.
Legal Options for Injured College Students
If you have been injured on a college campus in Texas, our Corpus Christi personal injury lawyer is ready to help with your case. Our goal is to determine what caused your accident and to identify parties who may be liable for your injuries. Some of the potentially negligent parties in accident cases include:
- Negligent drivers: A driver who causes an accident due to negligence or the driver’s employer may be held liable.
- Other students: In cases of hazing and assault, it may be other students who engaged in some type of intentional wrongdoing or negligence that resulted in your accident and injuries.
- The college: If an accident occurs due to the school’s failure to keep the property in safe, hazard-free condition or to provide proper security, supervision, or equipment facilities, it may be liable for your accidents and injuries.
- Organizations and clubs: In some situations, individual clubs or organizations can be held liable or the state, national, or local sponsors.
- Off-campus location owners and operators: This includes apartment complexes, clubs, bars, and other establishments.
The Burkett Law Firm can help you determine who is liable for your accident and injury and pursue claims against the responsible parties to help you recover the compensation you are entitled to.
Types of Compensation You Can Recover After a Texas College Campus Accident
The types of compensation you can recover varies based on your accident and injury, but some of the most common types include:
- Past and future medical costs
- Lost income
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Personal property damages
Our legal team will determine what types of compensation you are entitled to and seek this when filing a lawsuit on your behalf.
It’s important to note that while our team will work to settle out of court, we can take your case to court if necessary to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve.
Our Corpus Christi Personal Injury Lawyer Is Ready to Help Those Injured on College Campuses
When you get in touch with our Corpus Christi personal injury lawyers, you will find that they understand the challenges you may face after an accident. Being injured because of someone else’s negligence or wrongful act as a college student can impact your education and future career. It can also take a financial toll on you and your parents.
With our help, you can feel confident you have someone fighting for your rights to help you get the compensation you deserve. We will handle all aspects of the legal process so you can focus on recovering and getting back to school. Some of the services that our legal team offers to injured college students include:
- Handling conversations and negotiations with the insurance companies
- Filing all required paperwork by the deadline
- Conducting a comprehensive investigation into what happened and what caused the accident
- Consulting with financial and medical experts to determine the full value of your damages
- Pursue the maximum compensation you are entitled to
- Ensure you remain informed about what is going on throughout the personal injury lawsuit
It’s important to note that you don’t have to pay our law firm anything upfront. We will set up a contingency fee plan, which means that we only receive a payment if your case results in a settlement or compensation.
Get in Touch with The Burkett Law Firm Today for Help with Your Accident Claim
If you were injured on a college campus in Texas, it’s important to call our Corpus Christi personal injury lawyer immediately. We can investigate the accident, gather evidence, and get to work for you to help you recover the compensation you are entitled to. We offer free initial consultations, and there’s no risk when you hire our law firm. Reach out today for more information.