Being in a car accident can significantly impact a person’s life, including physical injuries, emotional trauma, financial burdens, and legal issues. It can lead to medical bills, loss of income, and property damage.
Additionally, the psychological impact of a car accident can result in anxiety, depression, and PTSD. Victims may also experience pain and suffering, decreased quality of life, and permanent disability. The impact’s severity depends on the accident’s nature and the individual’s circumstances. Seeking proper medical and legal help is crucial to recovering from the effects of a car accident.
At The Burkett Law Firm, our accident lawyers understand how a car accident can change your life instantly. We are here to help you hold the responsible party liable and recover the compensation you are entitled to.
In Corpus Christi and nearby areas, many car accidents are caused by negligent and reckless drivers; however, do you know the difference?
Negligent Driving vs. Reckless Driving
Negligent driving is a lesser degree of careless driving where the driver fails to exercise reasonable care, harming others.
Reckless driving, on the other hand, is a more severe form of dangerous driving behavior, where the driver shows a disregard for the safety of others by engaging in deliberate and intentional conduct.
Negligent driving is typically considered a civil infraction, while reckless driving is considered a crime. It can result in fines, license suspension or revocation, and even jail time if convicted. The consequences of both types of driving can be serious, and drivers need to exercise caution and responsibility on the road to avoid causing harm to themselves or others.
Unfortunately, both negligent and reckless driving can lead to serious accidents and injuries to victims.
Examples of Negligent Driving
Examples of negligent driving include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting, talking on the phone, or eating while driving.
- Failing to signal while turning or changing lanes.
- Speeding or driving too fast for the conditions.
- Failing to yield the right of way to other vehicles, pedestrians, or bicyclists.
- Ignoring traffic signals or signs.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Driving while fatigued or drowsy.
- Improperly maintaining the vehicle, such as driving with worn brakes or bald tires.
- Following other vehicles too closely or tailgating.
- Failing to adjust driving behavior to weather or road conditions.
Examples of Reckless Driving
Examples of reckless driving include:
- Excessive speeding, driving significantly over the speed limit, or driving too fast for conditions.
- Engaging in street racing or aggressive driving behaviors such as tailgating or cutting off other drivers.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol impairs the driver’s ability to control the vehicle.
- Running red lights or stop signs or ignoring traffic signals.
- Passing a school bus while its stop arm is extended or passing on a blind curve.
- Driving on the wrong side of the road or driving the wrong way on a one-way street.
- Performing stunts or “drifting” with the vehicle.
- Driving while distracted or engaged in other non-driving activities.
- Engaging in road rage, such as intentionally hitting other vehicles or threatening other drivers.
- Fleeing from law enforcement officers.
How to Recover Compensation from a Reckless or Negligent Driver?
To recover compensation from a reckless or negligent driver after an accident, you need to follow these steps:
- Seek medical attention immediately, even if you think your injuries are minor.
- Report the accident to the police and obtain a copy of the accident report.
- Gather evidence such as photos, videos, and witness statements.
- Contact your insurance company and report the accident.
- Consider hiring a personal injury lawyer to advise you on your legal options and represent you in negotiations with insurance companies or court.
- File a claim with the negligent driver’s insurance company, providing all necessary evidence to support your claim.
- Negotiate a settlement with the insurance company, or file a lawsuit if necessary.
- Attend all scheduled medical appointments and follow your doctor’s treatment plan to ensure you make a full recovery.
- Keep track of all expenses related to the accident, including medical bills, lost wages, and other costs.
- Be patient throughout the process; reaching a settlement or receiving a court judgment can take time.
A personal injury lawyer from The Burkett Law Firm can help you take the necessary steps and ensure you get a fair settlement offer from the at-fault party.
Let Our Lawyers at The Burkett Law Firm Help You with Your Car Accident Claim
Dealing with a car accident is a traumatic experience that can leave you overwhelmed and unsure of how to proceed. At The Burkett Law Firm, we understand the challenges you may face during this time, so we are dedicated to providing our clients with the legal guidance and representation they need to recover from their accidents.
Our team of experienced lawyers will work tirelessly to investigate the details of your accident, gather evidence, and negotiate with insurance companies to secure the compensation you deserve for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. We will help you navigate the complex legal process and provide support and guidance every step of the way.
Our commitment to our clients is unmatched, and we pride ourselves on providing personalized attention and compassionate representation. Communication is key, and we make ourselves available to answer your questions and address your concerns throughout the process.
We understand that no two car accidents are alike, and we approach each case with an individualized strategy tailored to our client’s unique needs. Whether you were injured in a negligent or reckless driving accident, we will fight tirelessly to ensure that you receive the justice and compensation you deserve.
At The Burkett Law Firm, we are passionate about helping our clients recover from their accidents and move forward with their lives. Let us help you with your car accident claim. Contact us today for a consultation, and let us help you get the justice you deserve.