Any time motor vehicles are involved there’s a chance of a serious accident and resulting injuries. For example, someone could strike you while you’re driving on the highway. Or perhaps you’re crossing the street when a negligent driver hits you. Your parked car could even be in the line of fire. If you suffered a parking lot accident in Texas, consult with an experienced car accident lawyer in Corpus Christi who can explain the key steps to take during the compensation process.
Step 1: Take photos of the damage and your injuries
This is the first step to take in any type of motor vehicle accident, including a parking lot accident. Use your phone to snap as many photos as you can of the damage to your vehicle and your injuries. When possible, take photos from a variety of angles. You only have one chance to do this at the scene, so you want to get it right.
Step 2: Exchange contact and insurance information
If possible, exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver. Of course, if they’re acting aggressively or flee the scene, this may be difficult — if not impossible — to do. Don’t attempt to chase them down or confront them if this happens. Stay at the scene of the parking lot accident and call 911.
Step 3: Seek medical care
This is a step you can’t afford to ignore. Even if you don’t have any visibly severe injuries, it’s critical that you seek medical care immediately after your accident. You never know what a doctor will find after conducting an exam and running tests. Call 911 to request an ambulance. This allows paramedics to treat you at the scene and on your way to a local hospital.
Step 4: File a police report
Don’t let anyone talk you out of contacting the police. The at-fault party may ask that you don’t call the police, but that’s a mistake. An official police report outlines what happened and what the officer witnessed at the scene. This can work in your favor when seeking compensation.
Step 5: Contact your insurance company
As time allows — such as after you receive medical care — contact your insurance company to start the claims process. At this point, you don’t have to say too much about the accident. Simply report it and stick to the basics.
Step 6: Consult with an attorney
Our Corpus Christi car accident lawyers have experience dealing with all types of motor vehicle accidents, including those involving parked cars. Rather than assume that you can manage the insurance claim process on your own, consult with an attorney who can answer your questions, provide guidance, and protect your legal rights.
Parking lot accident FAQs
There are many questions to answer as they pertain to parked car accidents in Texas. A knowledgeable car accident lawyer in Corpus Christi can answer the following in greater detail and explain your legal rights after a parking lot accident in Texas:
- Are parking lot accidents common? Roughly 20 percent of all motor vehicle accidents across the country happen in parking lots. Furthermore, the National Safety Council notes that these accidents result in thousands of injuries and hundreds of deaths every year.
- What are the most common causes of parking lot accidents? Distracted drivers, limited visibility when backing up, and speeding are among the most common causes.
- What are the most common places where parking lot accidents occur? Shopping malls and grocery stores are always at the top of the list.
- Who pays for damages in a parking lot accident? This falls on the other driver if they were operating their vehicle in a negligent manner, such as by texting and driving. In the event that the parking lot was not properly maintained, fault can also be placed on the property owner.
- Will your insurance go up if someone hits your parked car? Most insurance companies will not raise your premium if someone hits your car while it’s parked. Your collision coverage will kick in to repair or replace your vehicle. Just keep in mind that you’re responsible for paying any applicable deductible.
- What should you do if the person leaves the scene? Don’t chase after them. Attempt to get their license plate number and then immediately call 911. Your well-being is the most important thing at this point.
Suffered an accident in your parked car? Contact The Burkett Law Firm today
Since 1960, the car accident attorneys at The Burkett Law Firm have been providing service to injured individuals throughout the Corpus Christi, Texas area. If you or a loved one was injured in a motor vehicle accident, such as a parking lot accident, don’t hesitate to contact us online or give us a call at 361-882-8822. We’re available to answer your questions, review your case, and help you decide what to do next. Every case is personal at our firm and it’s our goal to give you peace of mind during this difficult time of your life.