If you have been injured in an automobile accident, truck crash, or any other accident, it is important to contact a personal injury attorney right away. Hiring a personal injury lawyer in Texas is a crucial step in obtaining compensation for your injury and helping you move forward with your normal life.
Finding the right personal injury attorney in Texas is a daunting task, but once you have found him, there are certain things you need to do before you meet with your lawyer. In this blog post, we will discuss how you can prepare for your consultation with a personal injury attorney in Texas to speed up your case and get the most out of your first meeting with the lawyer.
Why you need a Corpus Christi personal injury attorney
Here at The Burkett Law Firm, our personal injury attorney David T. Burkett has more than three decades of experience in handling various types of cases throughout Corpus Christi and Texas. Regardless of whether you were injured in a slip and fall accident, automobile crash, or any other accident, our Corpus Christi personal injury attorney is committed to helping you achieve the most favorable outcome and seek maximum compensation for your injury.
The reason why you need a personal injury attorney is because it can be difficult to navigate the legal system on your own, especially given that you are probably in a lot of pain and stress after the accident. You probably have hundreds of questions on your mind, and Googling each of them can be quite time-consuming and overwhelming.
You need an experienced personal injury attorney to address those questions as soon as possible and advise you on your legal options to recover damages from the at-fault party.
How can a personal injury lawyer help you?
Before considering the pros and cons of hiring a personal injury attorney, many people wonder how a lawyer can help them. There are many things a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer can do to help you obtain compensation for your damages and losses:
- Gather the necessary evidence to help you prove the other party’s fault
- Communicate with the at-fault party’s insurance company
- Collect and organize your medical bills and other records related to your personal injury
- Gather information from witnesses
- Advise you on your legal options (e.g., filing a claim vs. filing a lawsuit)
- Work with experts and specialists to determine liability
- Negotiate a favorable settlement offer with the insurance adjuster
- Explain how Texas’ legal system works to help you understand your rights and options
What should you ask a personal injury attorney during a consultation?
These are the questions you should ask your personal injury attorney in Texas during an initial consultation to ensure that you are hiring the right lawyer for your particular case:
- How long have you practiced personal injury law?
- Have you ever handled personal injury cases similar to mine, and what were their outcomes?
- How much money have you won for your previous clients?
- How much do you charge, and what is your attorney fee arrangement?
- Will I be communicating with you personally or other lawyers in the law firm?
- What is your strategy for winning my personal injury case?
- How long would it take to settle my claim?
- How much should I expect from a settlement?
- How often will we communicate, and how will this happen?
- Should I prepare to take my case to court?
- What are the pros and cons of suing the other party involved in the accident?
- What is the likely outcome of my personal injury case?
How to prepare for your consultation with a personal injury lawyer
Before meeting with your lawyer, it is advised to do the following to be better prepared for your initial consultation and speed up your case:
- Write down all the questions that you want to ask your personal injury attorney.
- Avoid communicating with the insurance company before you consult with a lawyer (or at least do not give them a recorded statement when speaking with an insurance adjuster and stick to the facts when answering their questions).
- Gather and bring along all the documents that might be relevant to your case.
- Make copies of all the documents you are willing to share with the lawyer, including medical records, correspondence with insurance companies, pay stubs, court documents, and many others.
- Do not be late for your consultation with a personal injury lawyer.
- If you feel more comfortable, bring a friend or family member for support and to help you memorize everything that has been discussed during the meeting (but do not bring minor children because they may become a distraction).
- Do not keep any relevant details about your injury or accident from the attorney.
- Turn off your cellphone or other electronic devices to avoid interruptions and make the most out of your time with the lawyer.
- Be sure to take notes during the meeting (it is not realistic to remember everything that was discussed).
Schedule a free consultation with the Corpus Christi personal injury attorneys at The Burkett Law Firm. Call at 361-882-8822 to talk about your case.